[Q 195] Rulings on Minor’s Theft and Compensation


If a minor steals money from somewhere, spends some of it, and the family finds out, should the family give the remaining money as charity in the name of the owner, or what should they do? And what is the ruling regarding the money already spent? (If the minor has some wealth, it can be used to pay for it.) Please guide.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الجواب بعون الملك الوهاب اللهم هداية الحق والصواب


If the owner of the money is known, then the remaining money, as well as compensation for the amount spent, must be given to them. It will be forgiven if the owner pardons it.
If the owner is unknown, then that money should be given as charity on behalf of the owner to a Sharia-compliant poor person.
If the minor has his own wealth, it can also be used to pay the compensation since he is the one who spent the money.

Answered by Mufti Sajid Attari

Translated by Arslan Attari

Leave a Reply